Monday 11 March 2019

Blackstone Fortress: Minions

Well it's been far too long since my last post but all has not been quiet on the painting table, I've been busying away trying to get Blackstone Fortress painted up so that we can get cracking on playing the game (something we've really been looking forward to).  To that end these are simple table top standard paint jobs, just base coats, washes and some dry brushing where required.  They aren't going to win any awards but will look decent enough on the table.

The first thing I wanted to tackle were the minions, leaving the characters till the end, so I started with the Traitor Guard.  For the game you need to be able to distinguish between the two groups so instead of painting the base rims I decided on two different colour schemes.





With the Beastmen I wanted these to look like they worked with the Traitor Guard so kept the colour palette the same.




Next up were the Negavolt Cultists, I wanted these to really stand out as something different and decided to go with a Borg-like skin tone which I though worked quite well as a counterpoint to the glowing energy core on their backs.




For the Ur-Ghuls I did the simplest of paint jobs (two layers of drybrushing and then a couple of washes) but I'm really happy with how they turned out, so much so I think this is how I'll be painting my Nightstalkers for Kings Of War Vanguard.




The last group of minions are the Spindle Drones, part of the Blackstone Fortress itself so again I wanted these to be set apart in how they look so went with a very bright silver and turquoise scheme.




Finally (and fresh off the painting table) are the Rogue Psykers.  As these are sort of leader models I put a little more time into their skin tones so they stand out a little more but I also wanted to test out how I plan to paint skin tones for my Black Legion.






So that's all the minions painted up which means it's time to move on to the characters and I'll be tackling Rein and Raus first.

No comments:

Post a Comment