Tuesday 11 September 2018

Warhammer 40k: Ork Mech Boy, Mega Nobz, Boyz and Gretchin

My march towards completing this next wave of Orks is nearly done having had the added impetus of knowing that the new Ork Codex is being released in Orktober and just recently switching to playing matched play games rather than the open play games we've had until now.

First up we have another Mech Boy, always useful when equipped with a force field to soak up some  of the rounds that fly the Boyz way and nothing to sniff at once he gets up close and personal.




I had a lot of fun painting this chap up, there's just something about these older sculpts which ooze character compared to the modern sculpts.  As with most of the rest of my Ork army this paint job is a refurb of an existing paint job where I try to bring it up to a standard I'm happy with while retaining most if not all of the original scheme.  In some cases this can mean a major change in look in others (like the Boyz) it's more subtle.  As an example, below is a shot of the Mech prior to me painting him but after I had given him an arm swap as he had been equipped with a plasma gun in his left hand.


Next up we have some Bad Moon Nobz in Mega Armour, I already have a squad of the Rogue Trader variants (Nobz in Power Armour) so these will make a nice addition to the force as my main opponent hates them, especially when they get transported straight to the front lines thanks to a Weirdboy with Da' Jump.


The mainstay of any Ork army is it's Boyz and here we have even more of them!


You can never have enough Boyz and these bring me up to a thirty strong mob.  These received quite an extensive repaint though it's not all to obvious as I kept the paint scheme the same (it was different enough to the Boyz I have already to add variety yet still in keeping with the overall scheme).  Below is a shot of one prior to the re-paint.


Lastly we have the runts of Ork society, Gretchin.  Bizarrely these received the most extensive re-paint as there original scheme was too different from the ones I already had and if I field them as a unit of twenty I want them to look uniform.


Here's how they started



And a comparison of the re-paints (left) to my existing ones (right) which only needed a few repairs when I bought them so aren't my paint jobs.


All that is left of this batch of Orks is a Mech Boy with Shokk Attack Gun (with his Snotling ammo), three 2nd Edition plastic Warbikes and a Wartrakk then a small amount of work on a Blitza Bommer I picked up recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment