Wednesday 17 July 2019

Core Space: Purge (and Contrast Paints)

The time has finally come and I've laid a brush on some Core Space miniatures! 


Core space is the first game by Battle Systems (famous for their very high quality card terrain) and is based around various ship crews scavenging and surviving in Core Space with the ever present threat of the Purge looming over them.  It's a great sandbox game which has multiple A.I. controlled NPC factions, which other then the Purge include gangs, civilians, security and the Galactic Guard,  and when this is combined with the interactions you have with the terrain/scenery you get an almost role play type experience but without the need for a GM.


Needless to say I've been looking forward to this arriving however it also coincidentally tied in with the release of the Contrast Paint range from GW which seemed like providence to me.  Like most hobbyists I have a backlog of miniatures/games to be painted and I've been fighting to reduce this (and I've not been doing too badly) but with the arrival of Hellboy, Batman and Core Space I was on the back foot again so the announcement of the Contrast Paint range got my attention.  Long story short, I've decided to paint these big Kickstarter releases using the Contrast Paints in order to get them painted (and so played with) asap and I'm happy to say it looks like I'm on to a winner.


Usually painting a squad of ten miniatures or a single hero takes me around a week but with the Contrast Paints I've managed to paint all the purge in the same amount of time.  Now they aren't going to win any awards and are only done to the most basic table top standard but you know what, they're painted and that's far better than naked plastic.


I've still got a bit to learn about how to use them (there's a couple of instances where I should have used some medium to thin down the paints a little) but as a test run I'm impressed with how they work and I'm going to go ahead with the plan and continue using them for the rest of Core Space and then on to Hellboy and Batman.


Before I continue on with the Core Space minis I've got a slight Blackstone detour to paint up but after that I can see myself knocking through these at some pace.

For now I'll leave you with the big beasties from the Purge.





  

2 comments:

  1. hi!

    Great job with those, they look amazing! Care to share which of the contrast colors you used? thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I used Basilicanum Grey (sometimes two layers) and Agoras Dunes for the most part.

      Delete