Wednesday 30 May 2018

Sedition Wars: Vanguard Characters Complete (plus playing with a light box)

I finished off the Vanguard characters a week or so ago but I've held off taking some photos of them as I ordered a light box (nothing flashy, in fact literally the cheapest I could find on Amazon) and wanted to try it out with them.  As such not all the photos are of the best quality but I think they are a step up from when I was using shoe box lids and should improve as I get better using the light box (as well as my camera again as it's been a year since I've used it, the camera phone wasn't up to taking photos with the light box as it kept dimming the lighting).

You've previously seen both Kara and Akosha but I think these do them a bit more justice:








Next up is Barker, unfortunately the focus is a little off in these and it hasn't picked up his flesh colour all too well.  This is the first time I've tried my hand at a sort of none-metal-metal technique, more in a comic book style, along with some object source lighting both of which have turned out quite well for first attempts.





Lastly we have Morgan, again the focus is a bit dodgy but the photos aren't too bad generally.  On the Studio McVey paint job they have him wearing latex gloves so I thought I'd give that a bash and again it turned out quite well, I painted his hands as I normally would then gave them two layers of white glaze followed by a highlight using the glaze mix with more added white.





Overall I'm quite please with how the light box has performed though due to it's size it's only good for photos of individual characters rather than squads or vehicles so I may invest in a better/bigger one in the near future.

5 comments:

  1. they all look good. Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur, all of them look great. Morgan might be my favourite, but all of them are really cool jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went the route of buying the cheapest light-box I could find on Amazon as well! Are you using just the internal lights for these shots or a lamp as well? You seem to be getting far better results than I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the internal lights but the room this is in also has a daylight bulb so may be helping somewhat.
      I do think I need to pull the camera back a bit though which should fix the focus issue and I'm going to try the black background out but enjoying the results so far.

      Delete